Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

What Else

I am at the point on the boat I am looking for things to do and trying not to spend any more money.  I ordered some basic replacement parts for the motor.  I had never changed the zinc on the motor so I figured it was due.  When I got the cover plate off there was nothing left inside, just the stud.  A new zinc and new gasket are now in place ready to go. 

I also ordered a new air filter element and a new thermostat.  The air element I needed as the original had turned to dust.  The thermostat was another of those items that I had never replaced but sure felt it was due.  To get to the thermostat the cover must be removed (arrow) then the thermostat replaced and a new gasket put in place.  I had all the parts on hand but then I took a closer look.  There was no way to get at that cover without removing the hard pressure fuel line that runs in front of the bolts.  That would mean bleeding the air back out of the lines.  Getting my  dry dock water tank set up and getting the motor running again to check everything out.  To the best of my knowledge the thermostat was working fine.  Water was flowing, etc.  This is a better job for later when I am on the water, or even if I start to have problems with it.  Right now it ain't broke, so I won't fix it.


The next little job I plan on this weekend is replacing the packing in the prop shaft drip gland.  Probably easier to due while out of the water.  However I don't even know if this needs to be replaced.  I really just want to unseize the nuts and get every thing lubed up with anti seize so if I do have a problem later I know I can get them apart.  It is a very difficult area to access with poor leverage and maneuverability.  While it is off I may as well repack it. You can just about make it out where the prop shaft exits the hull in this picture above.
The one that really needs attention is the rudder shaft.  This is almost impossible to get to. (picture on the right)  Even with the lockers completely empty  I can not get down far enough to get my hands and wrenches in there at the same time.  This would require cutting in an access panel in the floor of the cockpit.  Easy to do but the panels are expensive.  We will wait and see on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment