Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Tidying Up - Loose Ends

Lots Tidying up loose ends on the boat.  I still had one area of electrical wires that I had not neatened up yet.  Under the new Cooler platform, a storage space had evolved into a Piccadilly Circus of wires and terminations.  There was a lot of excess wire in this area that would just have to remain coiled up.  I could re-terminate the ends and cut of the excess but I still may be making changes, additions, deletions, etc in the wiring so a little extra can't hurt.
There is also a requirement for vessels over 26 feet in length to post a placard of the proper Waste Discharge Laws and Oil Discharge Prohibition.  These can be purchased for less than $10.00 each but I decided to make my own.  I copied the required text and created the images.  I printed it on 3M clear adhesive film and applied it to 5"x8" pieces of thin aluminum sheet from the scrap bin.  4 mounting holes and four screws later, they are installed.  The Oil Discharge is mounted in the engine compartment and the Waste Discharge is mounted on the galley bulkhead.



The family made a weekend trip out to the coast to look at marinas to tie up that other loose end.  They ranged in price from $0 for a free mooring in the city of Washington to $300/mth at the higher end, full service marinas.  The Admiral was not impressed as most marinas/boat yards tend to be rough areas where dreams go to die a slow, expensive death.  Later in the day I was reminded of a sailing club I had heard about a couple years prior.  I had left it off the list due to distance and the reported wait list.  We were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see the club and meet some more of the members.  If the Admiral and First Mate are ever going to be involved with my passion for sailing, this would be the place.  Safe, family oriented.  A real sailing community.  A rare find in this world of bigger, better, faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment