Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Closer Still


This weekends projects were not that heavy.  All minor improvements.  I started with making two templates for the 4 main cabin windows.  They are large and should be covered with something for privacy and UV protection of the interior.  There is a 1 inch wood frame around them so I can mount rods to the frame if need be for a sheer or curtain.  I am also looking into a film.  The forward windows (port and Starboard) are symmetrical with the upper and lower edge being parallel but the rear are trapezoidal in shape which will complicate things a bit.


 I was able to get the stuffing box apart rather easily even if it was a tight fit to get in there.  I dug out the flax I had installed 10 yrs earlier.  There were two rings of 5/16 PTFE.  I recall having a hard time finding the right size and not sure if I just made due with what I could find.  The larger size would explain why only 2 rings instead of the normal 3.  Also the first ring was really crushed to only half it's original size, while the second ring further in the nut was hardly compressed at all.  I have ordered new Gore PFO which is supposed to be able to run a lot dryer by using the graphite to help cool the shaft rather than relying on water drips to cool it.  I ordered that in 1/4" which is recommended for 1 inch shafts so I think I can get three rings in this time.



 I made some improvements to the trailer assembly.  First I cleaned it all off.  It became quit the catch all for any wood or pipe that was long and needed a dry place to stay for a while.  Once that was swept and vacuumed I installed some hooks on the uprights of the cradle to hang a step ladder.  When I get to where ever I am going it would be nice to be able to get back on the boat.  This way I will always have a ladder with me.  I also bolted the storage box to the frame so that doesn't come flying off.  It holds tie downs, dunnage, blocks, jacks, etc.


 I took the three most decent lines that I had and gave them a wash in the washing machine inside a pillow case.  They came out OK with no snags or obvious wear.  Just a little bit cleaner and more presentable.  They will only be dock lines but look like they will last a season or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment