Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Stalling for Spring


The first and last snow of the spring brought an inch or two of white stuff to close out the viscous winter we have had here in NC.  The tarp, poles and couplings all made it through again.  This is the 10th year for this system.  I am on the second tarp but all the poles have made it, even though they have bowed out a bit.  total material cost over ten years for the system, $470.  That's less than $50 per year for covered storage.  Not bad.  It really only needs to last another month but could probably go another couple of years before the tarp gives out.  When I am done I will dismantle and discard all but the couplings.  The tarp and poles (1" conduit) are easily replaced.

I took the cover off the tiller and was surprised at how dingy the varnish looked against the back drop of shiny new varnish on the seats and coaming in the cockpit.  I guess my varnish work is not done.  Off came the tiller and into the basement for stripping and new varnish.  I used a chemical stripper so as to not remove a lot of material through sanding, plus it kept the dust to a minimum in the basement.  All cleaned up and sanded I have put three coats on so far.  I left some of the stains to allow it's age to show through a little.  Bleaching them out would have destroyed the nice coloring of the 40 year old teak.

No comments:

Post a Comment