Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Final Assembly

I was able to carry the partially assemble engine upstairs and set it on the old engine mounts I had saved.  I installed them on some wood blocking on top of a cart and from here would do the final assembly.  Once it was bolted down, I added the flywheel.  I meant to weigh it because I am impressed with how much it weighs in such a tight package.  After the flywheel came the clutch plate that had refused to give up the transmission when I was taking it all apart.  Now all the spines on the transmission and clutch plate have been cleaned and coated with anti-seize compound.



The transmission was assembled on the bench and carried up separately.  I did not replace anything on the transmission as it all seemed to be working smoothly and was within tolerance.  I did completely disassemble it for cleaning and inspection.  I reinserted the input shaft and the intermediate shaft together and drive it home into the casing.  The out put shaft slid into place and I installed the cover plate with a good coating of Blue Seal.  I reassemble the shifter and bolted it back into place according to the drawing.  As it turns out I was looking at the drawing the wrong way as the shifter pin was facing the wrong way.  I found this out after taking the transmission upstairs and bolting it onto the motor.  The shifter had limited travel and only on forward.  Reverse was not to be found and ultimately the shifter just bound up.  Back off the motor came the transmission and back to the bench to pull it apart and try again.  I flipped the shifter pin and reassembled checking it each step and it appeared to be correct.  Bolted back on the motor and it was running smoothly in forward and reverse.



I continued on with installing the oil lines and fuel lines.  I added oil to the motor and the transmission and hand cranked for a couple of minutes with the compression lever up to distribute some oil.  I have to assume the internal oil pump works as I had no way of checking.  The oil level in the sump did go down a bit so i will take that as a good sign.  My other concern is the fuel lift pump that I also have no way of checking.  The manual lever works as I hear it sucking.  After installing back on the motor the arm that is supposed to run off the cam shaft lobe appeared to make contact but I can not hear it sucking when I hand crank it.  If fuel delivery is a problem; that is where I will start.





I will continue with the front dress, starter, alternator, etc and begin to install the wiring harness.  I spliced the harness back together from where it had been cut and all the connection test out.  It would be a really great thing if the panel and harness works properly so I can start this motor soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment