Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

New Paint





After an incredible weekend sailing I was back at the cleaning and painting of all the parts to be re-assembled.  Matter of fact I had to order another can of Yanmar Gray paint.  Didn't think I would go through a whole can on one tiny engine but this thing is going to sparkle when I'm done.  I will begin the final assembly this week.


When I was at the boat this weekend I soaked the mounting bolts in PB Blaster so I stand a chance of getting them off.  My hopes of re-using the engine mounts went up in smoke.  I had a close inspection of the mounts and looked past the rust to find the rubber crushed and compromised.  There goes $400.


I also attempted to un-stick the coupling bolts.  The nut size seems to have shrunk.  It is now somewhere between a 16mm and 17mm.  There is not enough room to get a socket on the head so I have to use an open ended wrench in a very hard to access area.  This will not be fun.  I soaked in PB and will try again in a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately it may involve vice grips.

No comments:

Post a Comment