Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Honing In





I have spent the last week continuing to take apart and clean up parts.  I ordered all the replacement parts that I need and they arrived so I have had a chance to evaluate further.  As previously mentioned the cylinder was measuring within specs so I decided to just hone.  I borrowed a hone and did that on the drill press.  The hone was larger than I would have liked but it fit in once it was spinning and only required 30 seconds with maybe 6 plunges.  The before and after photos don't do it justice.  It did highlight the slight ridge at TDC that was almost imperceptible before.  Still not enough to worry about.  So I am told.

Before Hone


After Hone




I spent the rest of the time wire brushing and cleaning all the parts I want to repaint; which is darn near everything.  I primed and painted about half over the weekend.  Don't know if one can of Yanmar Gray will be enough.

I ran into a problem when removing the valve guides. I put the new valves in the old guides and felt a lot of wiggle.  I slid on the new guides and no wiggle. I tried to drive the old ones out with a rod and split the back sides so I stopped.  There is a special step tool you are supposed to use.  I will try to turn one on the lathe sometime this week so I can continue to rebuild the cylinder head.  I have read where heat and cold are also used to loosen them up for removal or setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment