Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Patience

Patience is usually something I never have enough of.  On this tear down I forced my self to be patient rather than rush to make things happen, taking time to document and learn.  My tranny was still stuck on the motor bell housing refusing to come off the way the manual says it should.  I left it to soak in penetrating liquid.  The next day I replenished my supply of PB Blaster.  And soaked it again.  I was sure that only rust and 20-30 years of being together was keeping me from my goal.  I used 4 of the 8 bolts and mounted them backwards in the threads from the rear of the bell housing and clocked the tranny about a half inch so they had a flat surface to push on.  I applied heat and more PB as I slowly cranked a round in each.  Because of their position so close the housing, I could not get a socket on the head and had to use an open ended wrench. 1/6 of a turn at a time.  This slowed down the process allowing the heat and PB to work.


During this time I took measurements on the inside bore diameter of the cylinder.  I took dimensions along the center line axis of the crank at the bottom, middle and a 1/2" from the top of the cylinder.  I took the same 3 measurements along an axis perpendicular to the crank.  The center line measurements were as follows (in inches):  2.953, 2.955, 2.955.  The perpendicular measurements were: 2,953, 2.953, 2.956.  As could be expected, the upper dimensions in both directions are out of spec. The measurement should be between 2.9528 and 2.9540. The wear limit is 2.9567.  So I have one dimension that is right at the limit.  Do I just hone and re-ring or re bore to an over sized piston at 2.9626 ?





Back at the tranny; There were 5 distinct pops/cracks as as the transmission finally gave way after an hour of effort.  There was no damage to either housing or the components as far as I can tell.  I will clean up the parts and will look to replace the disk plate for sure.  I will extract the fly wheel and see if that can get cleaned up and has no fractures.  I will remove the housing on the tranny to clean it up and verify that the internal gears and bearings are all still good.  I love PB Blaster.  I sure hope the guy that invented it has retired a wealthy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment