Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Stand up Blocks

Some of the hardware that absolutely had to be replaced were the stand up blocks at the mast that turned the lines coming down the mast to the horizontal.  The main halyard, jib halyard, topping lift and spinnaker halyard.  They were old blocks.  Some were disintegrated completely, one was too small.  2 were serviceable but aged out.  I ordered 2 new ones from Garhauer.  The only problem is the base plate is a large circle vs a small diamond.  This is a problem because real estate at the mast base plate is limited.  I know they can even be mounted on the mast it's self but I wanted to keep it all on the same level.  
I removed a couple of the old blocks by drilling out the rivets from the top.  I could then pry off the plates and drill out the rest of the rivet down flush with the SS plate.  I made a paper template from the base of the mast to approximate how much room I would have.  Very Tight.  It will be a miracle if it all fits.  I had only planned on replacing the two primary halyard blocks and moving one of the serviceable ones over to replace the disintegrated one.

I mounted the two new ones with SS screws through the p;late and into the wood base through new holes drilled in the base plate.  I have decided to invest in the other two and will order those so it will all be done at once.  I also ordered all of the boat graphics and numbers.  I still need to shop for  boat insurance which is a tougher challenge than I thought as nobody wants to insure a 43 yr. old boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment