Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

100th Post


How to rebuild a sailboat in only 100 blog posts.  First; do not start to document the project until you are at least half way through.  Then continue at a random, ad-hock posting rate until you feel you might be posting too much.  Only then do you stand a chance of poorly documenting what has consumed the better part of three years of your life.  This post only goes to show how successful I have been in that endeavor.

I spent the week working on the trailer and getting ready for moving.  When, I don't know.  I removed the last of the plastic screen walls and cleaned up around the site.  I filled the trailer tires to 65 PSI and then lowered the trailer off it's blocks from the last 10 yrs.  Jacking up each corner and lowering for and aft until she sat just on four tires and the tongue.  The tires held.  That's a good start.




I hooked the trailer to the truck and connected the power cord.  Lights still worked.  Another positive. The big question was the brakes.  I put it in 4X4 Low and broke her loose from 10 years of standing still.  I pulled her out from under the cover about 2/3 of the way to taste the sunlight.  I could see I had a lot of tree trimming to do before she could get down the drive way.




I spent the rest of the day trimming trees as high as I could go.  There may be more near the end of the drive.  I am most concerned about the drive transition to the road.  It has worn down a lot over 10+ years.  I think the tongue will dig in.  I will try to move a lot of loose stone into the low area to raise it up.  I then tried to  roll her back.  The brakes had locked.  They broke loose after a lot of pressure and then seemed to roll free.  Maybe that is as bad as it will get.  Tires still holding air so dry rot does not seem to be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment