Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Down to Decorating

So many things have been scratched off the list that the majority of what is left is cosmetic.  Yes I am at the point that she can be launched, floated and sailed if I choose to.  Safely I think.

I managed some tasks that have been undone for various reasons.  I finally connected the automatic bilge pump to the transom through hull and installed the inline vent break.  With the help of the Willing First Mate, who is still small enough to fit into the stern lazzerette and big enough to turn a wrench at the same time.  I installed new fuse holders on the bilge pump and wired (always hot) to the house batteries.  Connected the 3-way switch at the electrical panel and turned it on.  The sweet sound of pumping air emitted from the bilge.

I also took this time to clean up some of the wiring in the starboard lazzerette.  In this picture you can see the ACR feeding the large fused link to the house bank.  The charger feeding the charged to the house bank and the negative Buss. The small battery charger is a Guest Pro Charge 6 Amp.  Certainly small by any standard for a 200 Ah bank but I don't need a 6 hour recharge time.  If I plug it back in to shore power at all, it will be left for days or weeks before needed again.  It is much more of a trickle charger.  I was curious how this would react with the ACR and asked the Guest people who of course had no clue other than stating that the recharge time would be excessive with that small a charger for that large a bank.  I left it plugged in for two days.  For the first six hours it showed full charging.  For the next 24 hrs it showed trickle charge, and the next day showed full charge.  I am just not sure if it was for both battery banks.  A battery monitor would really help but in the end I don't really need to know because the battery switch combiner will work as long as one bank has charge in it to start the motor.  The 110 plug I was going to adapt to the existing 30 amp shore power plug.  I cut off the plug only to find a blue wire, brown wire and a yellow/green wire.  I am pretty sure which one is ground but not sure which is neutral or hot.  In the end I just used the housing and ran the 110 plug in there which is very secure and water proof.  I just need more butt connectors to seal up the joints.  There is no need for the the 30 Amp shore power as I have no 110 on the boat.


Two fire extinguishers were mounted on board.  One on the outside of the engine compartment and the second in the hanging locker in the forward cabin next to the galley.  Although only one is required for a vessel this size this give me better coverage at both exit points.  I hope I never need either.
 I refinished and installed the old shelf from the head compartment.  I was not sure if there would be room because of the new configuration.  There is barely enough room to sit for a man and I was worried it would get even worse with the shelf.  Turns out the limiting factor is the cabin side and opening port more than the shelf.  Storage for essentials out weighed the inconvenience.
 

The best part of the day came in some decorating.  I cleaned up the two main cabin bulkheads and removed the builders plaque.  Here I mounted my parents two Chinese carvings of an old man and woman.  They are just a little too big for the space and dominate the cabin but still seem to fit right in.  Keeping up the tradition of combining the old with the new in this restoration.  I relocated the builders plaque to the forward cabin bulkhead that is furred out to the vertical but I am not sure why.  Turns out to be a good spot for mounting.


 I continued to work my way out of the cabin as I sanded and applied another coat of gloss spar varnish to the floor boards.  All of the other woods are a matte finish but the floor just seemed to scream out for gloss.  There will probably be a carpet runner over most of it so it should be alright and not too slippery.
 As I closed the door on the cabin I took time to install the lockable door latch.  At least it will keep the honest people honest.  Now I need to move on to more logistical problems.  Finding a marina, finding a window to bottom paint, finding an insurance co, ordering lettering, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment