Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Varnish, sand, Varnish, sand, Varnish,sand........

The multi-step process of varnishing all the trim for the dinghy has begun.  Everything is laid out in the basement and I am also doing the main forward hatch and the new electrical panel door at the same time.  It is actually a very cathartic thing to do but does take a long time without a break. 
 Last night I strung together 3 hrs to get the first coat done which will basically seal up the back sides of everything.  The front sides will get the multi-coat process.  I always aim for seven coats but usually get fed up and bored after five coats.  My makeshift paint room, the basement with a box fan in the window, works out OK but of course it will be raining most of the week so my dry times are about double what they would normally be.  After 10hrs my first coat was still tacky.  Hard to keep dust down for that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment