Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Plumbing


Having installed the refinished water tank in the forward compartment I needed to plumb new lines and pumps.  I purchased a Whale galley foot pump and have been struggling on the best place and way to mount this.  My original plan was to mount in the cupboard under the sink and cut out a slot in the wood face to allow the foot pedal to protrude into the cabin. 


Not wanting to cut into something I could not replace I went back and looked at it many times.  I was about ready to begin when it occurred to me that I was making this harder than it needed to be.  The pedal did not need to protrude into the cabin space and become a trip hazard in an already narrow space.  If you want water, just open the cupboard door and step on the pump.  Now the tricky installation simplified.  the pump will be mounted to 3/4" marine ply that will be cut and formed to the cabinet/hull and secured down to resist the torque applied by the pump pedal.  I installed the new sink spigot in the counter top and a new Forespar sink drain.


The counter top turned out to be made of 1-1/4" thick mahogany.  Not suitable for a spigot designed for a 3/4" top and only 1" of threads.  I had to hog out a recess with a forstner bit which was really sloppy because the hole had already been made for the spigot so the forstner had nothing to center on.  This and the fact that I was upside down and backwards in a cabinet that I couldn't fit my shoulders in.   And I found a bit that I missed painting behind the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment