Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Dingy Paint

 I spent the holidays getting paint on the dingy.  The first couple of days included all of the sanding and finishing of the mahogany trim, rounding, etc.  Then the filling and fairing of the hundreds of screw holes that are required to keep the plywood firmly attached to the oak structure. 

Then it was off to the paint booth for a couple of coats of primer.  I severely underestimated the amount of paint required for priming and painting with a siphon spray rig.  I had some gray left over from priming the decks and used that on the outside of the dingy with the thought that the contrasting color would alert me to paint wear on the bottom faster.  I purchased another quart of white primer (prekote) for the interior.  Used both of them up and could have used more on the exterior if I had my choice.

I also had two quarts of Brightsides LPU for the finish.  I had an old can of Off White and a new can of Hatteras White, which was to be the finish color.  To stretch them out as much as possible I blended some of both for the initial coats and finished with the final coat in the Hatteras.  The inside looks great and the outside which received an extra coat looks like it use more. 

It almost looks like the primer (grey) in some locations was not accepting the paint into the grain.  I don't mind that you can see the grain pattern, it is a wood boat.  So now the painted dingy is back in the front guest room and the mahogany trim, seats, etc. is all in the basement waiting to be varnished.  Then I can put it all back together but i can tell it will look pretty good already.  Very happy with the dingy progress



.

No comments:

Post a Comment