Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Ninety Percent

Not that I am 90% done on this restoration, probably only about 85%.  The list of things left to do is still mind numbing.  This 90% seems to apply to the level of "correctness" in which the tasks are being completed.  The question being, is 90% good enough.  There is a learning curve when doing things for the first time.  Every task I have completed I know is not 100% perfect.  The hole I cut may not be perfectly smooth or square.  The tightness on each bolt may not be the same on all bolts on a fixture..  The wire may not be the "best" for the application.  It is perfectly serviceable, but not the best as in "belts and suspenders" best, not to mention all the imperfections in the paint jobs.  So is 90% good enough??  Going to have to be.  I am sure the next time around I can get that up to "95%" with everything I am learning.  Someone could criticize any part of what I have accomplished, or tell me a better way of doing it.

What I do know is that it will be a 1000% better than when I first purchased her; In appearance but more importantly in functionality.  She will not leak as much.  Her rig will be stronger, her sails newer, her electrical all new, her systems all new, her mechanical plumbing (fuel & water) all new, her ground tackle much improved.






This weekend I continued on with installing some basic plumbing for the engine compartment.  I installed the new secondary fuel filter. The primary is attached to the engine and thus has the misnomer of being primary however not the first.  I installed the fuel tank and attached the main fuel line.  I need a 5/16 line to go from the filter to the engine and a line for the return to the tank.  Lastly I need to install the fill port and vent line.  The fill port can only go in the one place it was before, directly on top of the inlet as there is only 2 inches of space available.  The vent tube used to come out behind the secondary winch mounts (stainless) which I had no planned on installing this time but appear to be in a better location for trimming than the main ones.  I still do not have any self tailing winches to put on them.

Installed the manual and automatic bilge pumps.  The manual is the lowest and the automatic is just above that.  The manual is housed in the engine compartment but you can access it if you just flip up the top step.  The auto bilge is wired to a 3-way switch on the control panel and direct feed from the house bank.  The outlet is 1-1/8" dia. but the thru-hull is a 3/4" from the old installation.  The hose I bought was a couple feet too short or I would have replaced the thru-hull.  Now I will neck it down with a reducer from 1-1/8" to 3/4", which the pump company makes.  Guess I am not the first to settle for 90%.



I also installed a secondary raw water strainer.  There is a primary at the sea-cock with a large screen so i wanted another closer and easier to clean with a smaller screen.  I need the new hose to plumb all that in but need to drain the system first.  The rest of the time was spent in cleaning up all the wiring runs, cleaning up all the parts/pieces/tolls that had collected after a month of work and then cleaning up  the work shop in the basement.  As a reward for my work Installed the VHF into the new control panel enclosure and wired it in.


No comments:

Post a Comment