Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Safety First



 My job this weekend was made easier by my helpers.  The little first mate was able to squeeze into the stern locker to put a wrench on some bolts that I just could not reach.  I hope we have them torqued enough to be water tight. 
 I had another friend come over in the afternoon to help with all the stanchion bolts.  This required someone on the outside preventing bolt from turning while I was on the inside setting backing plates and nuts in place.  Very hot work but we got everything ratcheted down to a point was I was comfortable with.

 All of the deck plates were heavily layered in butyl and a little extra around the bolts.  Nothing on the backing plate so I don't conceal any possible leak.  Everything is very solid.  My only disappointment was on the bow pulpit mounting plates.  3 out 4 bolts are fine.  The 4th on either side I drilled into a hollow stringer.  I plan on just setting that bolt in some epoxy with the bolt lathered up in Vaseline.  Once it kicks I should be able to extract and re-tighten the bolt which will now just be a screw.

 I celebrated all of this success by installing the new lifelines that I received from Rigging Only.  I sent in my old ones so measurements were not an issue.  The old were 1/8" SS covered in white plastic.  They were probably original and the white coating was all cracked and peeling.  The new ones are all 1/4" Stainless Steel.  Very nice and shiny and expensive.  It is a safety feature so I can't complain too much but this old boat only has a single life line at a bad height (24").  Current convention is a higher stanchion (30") with double lines.  This would have necessitated all new stanchions and modifications to the bow and stern pulpit.  Too much of an investment for this old boat.  It feels really good to have the lines back on.  More complete.


 Lots of good butyl squeezed out.


No comments:

Post a Comment