Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Hosed

Over the last couple of weeks there has been sporadic activity on the boat, all of which has revolved around different plumbing systems.  The auto bilge pump needed to neck down from a 1 1/8" line to a 3/4: line and thru hull.  The manual bilge needed to neck down from a 1 1/2" line to a 1 1/4" line and thru hull.  Life would have been easier if i had been willing to purchase different pumps or install different thru hulls.  Again 90 %.  So some time was spent sourcing differnt connections and hoses, etc.  The automatic bilge pump line now only needs to be mounted in place with a siphon break and attached to the thru hull.  The manual bilge line is in and attached but could use an additional support on the bulkhead and could have stood for a longer section on 1 1/4" hose to create a larger vent loop. 

The engine exhaust line has been redone with all new flexible 2" and 1 1/2" hose.  I removed the 90 degree elbow and used the bending radius of the hose instead. I changed the direction from the starboard side to the port and cut a new hole in the rear transom bulkhead.  I used a longer piece of 1 1/2" hose to create a large loop to prevent water being driven back in from the stern outlet and following wave.  All of the connections need tidying up and more supports which i will do before I install the fuel tank.

I installed the secondary water filter and the fuel line from the filter to the motor.  I need to make the return line connections and install the fill and vent line on the fuel tank.  The vent I have does not have enough thread because the deck is so thick,  I have to find a fully threaded one.  So I have a few connections I need to make then tackle my next milestone.  Getting the motor running.





I have replaced all I can on and around the motor.  I will drain and replace the oil, and switch out the impeller.  I will rig a gravity feed water supply and try to get the motor to start after 10 years of being idle.  My success or failure will dictate the splash schedule.  The rest of the work i need to do will only take a couple of months and main involves installing new equipment.  The last big thing is the cleaning and varnishing of the rest of the interior wood work.  That will have to wait until fall and cooler temps.


No comments:

Post a Comment