Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

More Varnish


 The weather is right for varnish work.  Here in NC I really only have two small windows for outdoor varnish work.  The early spring around Easter and the late fall just before Thanksgiving.  The boat is still tented so it cuts down on the wind and the ever present pollen that consumes our spring.  So the electrical work is put on hold while I sand and varnish.  I am using the same Epiphanes varnish as before but have switched to disposable foam brushes vs the badger hair brush.  I have also switch the brush stroke to a backwards pull into the wet edge.
 The hope is this will minimize any sags in the varnish.  The last bits of teak on the cockpit seats and all the lazzerette lids is is really bad shape.  Most of it is held down with SS screws and is so thin that re-drilling and plugging is impossible.  I am varnishing the teak to squeeze out a couple of more years of service but after that I think I will glass over and paint.  The rest of the teak I am doing is the cockpit coaming, the cabin doors and the main hatch.  I will rehang the doors with lift off hinges and a new latch capable of locking.  I am three coats into the process and it is starting to look good.  Another two coats and it should start to shine.  A cold front is scheduled for Wednesday so i may skip that day and stretch my 24 hr window for re-coat rather than risk fogging the varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment