Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Black Goop

More commonly referred to as Life Caulk, poly sulphide sealant.  A permanently flexible sealant used for bedding hardware.  I used it around all of the chain plate openings in the deck.  I had opened up a 1/4" gap all around the chain plates and caulked up to the plate.  I trolled level and tried to make sure there were no voids.  I also pre-drilled and filled solid with thickened epoxy all of the screw holes for the plate cover.  I plan on setting the plates with a layer of Butyl Rubber to seal of and around the chain plates further after tapping all of the holes in the thickened epoxy.




While I had the tube out I made the new Lexan cover for the forward hatch.  Marked all the holes, drilled and counter sunk the holes using the old piece as a pattern.  Upon fitting I needed to sand off some edges to give room for a good bead of sealant.  I then taped off every square inch wood and glass that sealant would touch.  Laid down double lines of caulk on the matting surfaces and screwed in with the 16 screws I had.  I Need a dozen more to finish.  After that I squeegeed the caulk at the seam and scrapped off the drips on the back side.  I will let set for 24 hrs then pull the tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment