Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Covers and Hinges



I installed all of the chain plate covers.  the void was filled with Life Caulk and then I set the plate in butyl rubber and screwed down in pre-filled holes.  The pre-filled holes were harder to keep uniform as some drew down and some did not.  I think they are all water tight but time will tell.  I also installed the new lift off hinges quickly last night but they need to be adjusted stll to hang right.  When that is done I can install the latch.  The one door is tight to get off and is set too close to thye jame leaving a large gap in the center.  I need to off set this.  The PO had used cardboard but I will try some SS washers as spacers.  The spine of the hinge should cover it.  The doors look a lot better than in the photo.  I hope to try sealing the joint between the outside of cockpit coamings and the deck.  I have a teak color life caulk for that.  The plan is to tape off and squeegee it in.  It will be messy but that should make it water tight.  It gap doesn't go into boat, just behind the coaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment