Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What is it Worth?



The one thing we did not get accomplished last weekend on the boat was......go sailing!  With all we had going on and the strength of the wind it just didn't seem prudent.  I also met with a canvas guy.  I sent him the above concept and asked him to price it out for my boat.  The thought being this investment would keep her looking better, longer.  Both for my own enjoyment but also for future resale. Keeping in mind our goal is to get to the boat once a month (3-4 days).  The rest of the month (27 days) she will not be used.  The quote came in today and I was shocked.  When will I learn.

The pro's and con's.

Pro - Will prevent the quick degradation of all the bright-work, we have a lot.
Pro - Will limit the amount of rain finding it's way into the boat.
Pro - Will radically limit the amount of clean up, touch-up and maintenance.
Pro - On my limited trips to the boat we can focus on fun and sailing.
Pro - Might reduce spiders and cobwebs, but might not.
Pro - Would be warmer in the winter.

Con - Very, expensive.
Con - Possibly trapping moisture under and in boat.
Con - Very, very expensive.
Con - Time needed to open and close the boat will increase dramatically.
Con - Very, very, very expensive.
Con - Greater wind resistance in a sudden storm.

Help me decide.  When I heard the cost I passed out.  When I came too, I began doing the mental checklist  listed above.  I am squarely stuck on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment