Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Raise it Up



Last weekend we discovered we could raise the sampan bimini about 8 inches and still clear the boom allowing the bimini to remain up while sailing.  It's intended purpose in life.  The easiest way to do that is to make extensions that will couple with the existing uprights.  My first thought was to make the pieces fit in between the upright and the radius.  The tube would be 1" OD and the insert would be about .875" dia.  The insert would need to be recessed into the tube about 2" and then rosett welds to hold in place.  A time  consuming process, so I am told.

My next plan was to put the extensions on the bottom of the uprights and that allows me to also switch tracks on how to make them.  I will take 1" SS round stock and just turn down the 1-1/4" insert piece.  It will be much heavier than the tube but it will now be the base of the structure so the strength of being solid here can help.  This is also something within my skill level.  I have a friend who is supplying the SS stock and we have plenty of Mills and Lathes at work.  This should only take me a couple of hours to complete.  It still won't give us standing head room but every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment