Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Home Projects



How do you wash and dry a sail in the woods.......any way you can.  In the slim, sliver of open area at the house I was able to hang up the #2 between the flag pole and a tree to dry after a thorough wash.  I had only used the sail once in sunny conditions and put it away dry.  We came back to the boat 4 weeks later and it had mildewed throughout.  The other sail used in the same conditions and put away the same way, in the same bag, was fine.  I still can not explain it.  The locker it was in did leak while we were gone but the sail was not wet.  Why one sail and not the other?  I hand washed the sail with a very mild bleach solution.  I know they say that the bleach will eat away at the threads but realistically, it is a 25+ year sail.  I was only hoping to get a couple of years out of them any way.  I rinsed a lot, soaking the sail, and got most of the staining out.

The other project was bed extension pieces for the v-berth and and extension piece in the main salon.  I am making the boards and supports and the Admiral is sewing the covers.  This week I will also make the bimini extensions and support brackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment