Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Running Rigging


More stuff.  More Money.  I have put off these purchases as long as necessary.  I got another coat of varnish on a sanded interior this week.  One more should do it.  I have a lot of other small bits and pieces to varnish but they are all in the basement and can be done any time.

My package came from Defender right on time.  2 new wire to rope halyard kits, 2 new halyards with shackles, 1 new Life Sling and 1 new anchor lock.  The Wire to rope kits are comprised of 50' of 3/16 SS wire cable pre-spliced to 50' of 7/16 line.  The only assembly I had to do was determine the correct length of the cable, cut and crimp on the end.  I layed the old Jib halyard (wire) on the ground next to the new one and cut accordingly.  The wire is crimped via an oval barrel swage sleeve and a SS thimble to make the eye after the cable has been run through the sheave.  Same operation for the Main Halyard.

The rest of the line I left intact and will trim to length once the mast is stepped and I can measure properly.  The other two halyards are 3/8' line with snap shackles.  One for the topping lift and one for the spinnaker (drifter) of the future.  There is also a spinnaker pole guy that needs to be run but I will do that in my next purchase.  So I ran all these new lines and halyards on the mast and got one step closer to finishing.


The Life Sling is a required piece of safety equipment and get hung on the stern rail.  I also ordered the Garmin GMI10 instrument display that I will hook up to the already installed tri-ducer ( speed, depth, temp) sensor.

No comments:

Post a Comment