Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mechanical and Electrical

This past week I reinstalled a the fourth and final set of berth slats along the port settee. Picture to come later.  It was not without it's problems.  These slats had to be shortened on the ends where I installed a new bulkhead.  A month ago before refinishing them I had cut off the 1- 1/4" needed on the ends.  Turns out in getting them off the boat I must have flipped some of them over (3 out of 6) end for end and cut off the wrong ends.  Reinstalling them proved rather difficult as none of the holes or pre-bends were lining up.  To solve the problem I cut an additional amount of the other end of the 3 that were wrong and 1 that was OK but would have looked odd being longer.  Now the first and the last are the correct length and the four in the middle are all equal but shorter than the rest by an inch.  I will need a throw pillow there.

I have been mounting the hidden cleat plates under the bow and stern seat of the dinghy.  The builder would normally just screw through the top surface.  This way is a lot more work but really looks good with no exposed fasteners.  I came up 4 screws short yesterday but then I will be done.  I still lack 10 silicon bronze #10 1" flathead slotted screws for the oar lock plates.  I can only find them in a pack of 100.  That and 2 oars and we will be ready for a launching.



 I finally got up enough courage to cut into my new electrical panel to insert the switches.  It went very well.  I will add a 12v outlet and then get ready to mount into the boat.  I also came across someone selling old discontinued product and picked up two vent cowls for the dorade boxes.  The are the rubber kind and not the metal but $25 vs $400 will ease that.  He also had a very hard to find 4" round deck chain pipe.  They only make small 1-1/2" ones now.  Single handed it will be easier to feed the rope/chain rode into the chain locker this way.



No comments:

Post a Comment