Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Cockpit Lockers



 This past weekend only left me a couple of hours for the boat in between soccer games, horses, museums and dinners out.  i had hoped to get a coat of paint in the lockers but really only finalized the prep work.  I epoxied in the final pieces in the stern locker and then fillets and tabbing were installed. 
 
There was a large piece of wood running vertically along the interior edge of the rear cockpit.  It looked like something really beefy was mounted on it or through it.  It had been patched and painted many times but i could see no real reason structurally for it to be there and it was in the way of where I wanted to install the engine control panel.  So it had to come out.  It was epoxied in quite well and took some persuasion to get it out (pry bar).  when it did give up its hold it revealed a bad patch job on a very nice oval opening in the fiberglass with 4 screw holes. 

My guess is an old set of engine controls for the original Volvo that was in the boat.  I can fill and patch it properly now when i redo the cockpit.  I removed the controls from the starboard lazerette and uncoupled the wiring harnesses. 

It is now in the basement and I will make a backing box to protect the rear of the panel after I install it in the wall of the stern locker with a spray shield on the front. 

Finally I filleted and tabbed in the last new support for the fuel tank in the port locker.  Now for some final sanding, prepping and cleaning before a coat of paint goes on, weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment