Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, October 24, 2011

A Little Trim











I took a leap of faith this weekend and started to put some things back on the boat.  All of the forpeak and cabin painting is complete other than one more coat in the hanging locker and some touch up in the head.  I installed the teak trim slats in the forpeak on either side of the cabin and all of the support boards.  (Before and after photo)  All of these had been refinished at some point prior to this last two years of steady work and had been sitting in the basement.  I reattached the slats with 1" silicon bronze flat head screws with a finish washer under each.  I have stripped all the paint of the water tank which goes underneath the forpeak birth and I also pressure washed the inside this weekend along with the Diesel tank.  I am now pressure testing the water tank by leaving it on the back deck filled to the brim to see if there is any leakage.  I have ordered and received the new galley foot pump (Whale Gusher Mk3) and if the pressure test goes OK I can begin reinstalling the tank and installing the plumbing for the fresh water system to the Galley sink.  Still need to buy hoses, clamps etc but wanted to get the equipment installed first to measure for length. 




The Starboard settee is also all back together with boards and slats installed.  (Before and after photo)The port Settee needs a board trimmed and the slats refinished before I install but that should not be far behind.  I took all of the shelves and storage bottoms out and cleaned and repainted them this weekend with a coat of epoxy paint.  I will install all of those this week as well as the drawers and sliding cupboards.  All of that trim work needs a light sanding and coat or two of varnish but I should be able to do that in place.  Next week I will be moving on to the Cockpit lockers and the rear of the engine compartment.  All of this needs to be cleaned and scraped and painted.  The port side locker used to hold the diesel fuel tank and will need a lot of rework to reinstall it.  the starboard side still holds the batteries, starter etc and also has the bilge outlets.  The stern locker really only has the engine exhaust port.  Until I start scraping and sanding I won't know how much work will be involved and how much rework will be required.  While I have a month of above freezing temps I will try to knock this out.  Then when it is too cold for epoxy or painting work I can move back inside for electrical and mechanical installations.

No comments:

Post a Comment