Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Epoxy Paint


Very stout stuff! I had never used this before but in looking around for what to prime the insides of the boat with I came across an article where somebody had used it. It is the epitome of the belts and suspenders approach, at least when it comes to priming. I am starting at the forpeak and working towards the rear. I needed paint for what was to be visible, above the settees, ceiling, etc., and a paint for below but not in the bilge. Two coats of the Sherwin Williams DP235 epoxy paint, above and below has done the trick. Below it will be left in it's gloss white, easy to clean and very durable. Above it is then covered with two coats of Interlux premium Yacht Enamel in a Hatteras off white (cream color). So far it is coming out pretty well. I still have the head compartment and the hanging locker to do then I can close the door on the forpeak and finish a little patch sanding in the main cabin.

In between coats I also put on a couple coats of grey BilgeKote in the bilge areas up to the engine compartment. I ordered the last thru hull for the depth/speed/temp transducer that I need to install before the final painting in the cabin. There is still lots of little work in the cabin to do before final paint, attatching seat supports, some fillets, building a new electrical box enclosure, and now filling a small hole (rotten) in the starboard settee where it came in contact with the rotten engine compartment (already replaced).

No comments:

Post a Comment