Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Back Order



Not the plan, just the parts. I have had great luck with ordering parts and pieces for the boat. All my orders have been from the mainstay of boat refurbishing vendors: Defender, Jamestown Distributers, McMaster Carr and even West Marine. This past week I expanded my searches which introduced 3 new vendors to my list in the hopes of lowering costs even more. The results were as the title of this entry. To be fair one did actually ship and was damaged in transit. Two new quarts of Interlux Yacht Enamel are spread over the inside of a big brown truck somewhere making the only big brown truck they have that has a Hatteras Off white interior. So to be fair, Boatersland Marine, did come through. Lets see how long it takes for them to re-ship. This is the first thing I have had damaged by UPS in my life, so we can let them slide too.

I ordered the thruhull transducer from Amazon. Seems like an odd place but their price was $30 less than any other source. This might turnout to be one of those "too good to be true" deals. They have yet to ship and keep pushing back the delivery date on the website. I will give them another week. No pressing need for the transducer but I would like to verify size before drilling the hole. I did epoxy in a blank backing plate and the instructions do say a standard 2"hole but I would like to be sure. It is a intelliducer that has 3 sensors in one thru hull, speed, depth and temp. I don't really need the temp but really wanted one hole and not two. It is NEMA 2000 ready and will connect to a future purchase of a Garmin chartplotter and possibly a Garmin GMI 10 panel.

The other back-ordered items were all the chain plate covers for the deck from Fisheries Supply. Again no great need as I need to finish painting the inside cabin before installing and I won't have any paint until UPS is finished repainting their fleet of trucks. I am having the two chain plates that were heavily corroded remade as well. Something I could have done myself with a lot of effort but a friend is charging me material only so it is a great deal. So this weekend will be lots of final prepping and painting hopefully with the one thing that did arrive; a new gallon of DP235 epoxy paint.
Also, finally found an image of what my table is supposed to mount to. I have the table, intact and in good shape but no clue where to mount it. Now I just have to find some brackets that will work on the engine compartment; hopefully from McMaster Carr!

No comments:

Post a Comment