Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Last bit o' varnish

I put on the required coats of varnish on the hand rails (4) and all the window trims (10).  I also did the base plate on the mast step and the new stern light pad mount that I made and one additional teak cleat that I found in a box.  I removed all the tape and cleaned up around the edges the best i could.  It is still a 10 foot job.  I have learned so much in my first go around with painting, prepping, masking, etc.



 The next time will be totally different.  I have learned from my mistakes.  Everything that I thought would be a time saver, turned out to be a slower way of doing things with poorer results.  There is only one right way and many ways of doing it not right.  I believe i have done all of the later but that has helped to clarify which way is the best way.


I am concerned with how easy the Toplac topsides paint is scratching.  I need to see if i can touch up these areas when I do the cock pit.  Which is the next area to be sanded and prepped for paint.  Then I get to start bolting thing back on the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment