Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Back Inside: Bulkheads


Continuing on the inside cabin reconstruction over the last two weeks. The starboard side bulkheads and engine compartment have all been roughed out of 3/4 marine grade plywood. This weekend I will start tabbing them in after sealing with a thin coat of epoxy. The final bulkhead is roughed in but I won't be able to fit until the others are tabbed in to get a good fit. This last one will have a large center section cut out to access the area for storage but also allow me to access the backsides for tabbing. I could get at it from the Ice box lid above in the cockpit but I would need a longer arm. The thought is that even tough I removed the inadequate built-in ice box, I may use this open storage space to be able to slide in a conventional cooler that can be accessed from the cabin or the cockpit. From the cockpit you would have to lift two lids but it will keep thing colder, longer.

The other aquisition this week was a wonderful piece of Sapele, a more readily available Mahogany substitute. Just as dense with some exotic grain but a little bit less intense in color and pattern. The piece I have is a solid 2 inch thick, 14" wide and 30" long. This will be my new bow platform. This boat has never had a bow roller platform or a bow roller for that matter. I plan on upgrading all the ground tackle as it only came with an 8 pound Danforth. On the platform I plan to carry a 22lb Claw (Bruce) and a 35lb CQR. I have laid it out on a drawing but now really need the actual rollers and anchors to finalize before cutting. Unfortunately ground tackle is not cheap so i may spread the $1,200 over a couple of months to soften the blow. When I am done it should look something like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment