Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, August 24, 2015

End of Chapter One

So this will conclude Chapter One of the this Blog.  We have decided to move on from our beloved əkwâr`ēəs.    The decision was an easy one my part and less so for the rest of the clan. Everyone has asked how can you part with something you have put so much work into?  She has taught us all that she can and now it is time to move on.  


I am now comfortable with all types of boat repair, both major and minor.  Electrical, mechanical, structural and cosmetic.  I am now knowledgeable enough to look at a boat and determine its practicality, functionality and maintenance level.  We are all more comfortable with sailing in a keel boat but would like to bring people sailing with us.  

We needed more room and more boat to do that.  I began our search about 18 months ago and my search was finally blessed by the Admiral about 6 months ago but not endorsed by the crew.  That gave me a lot of opportunity in the first 12 months to narrow down the field privately.  We had settled on the 34 to 36 foot range as a good target.  #1 on the requirement list was that the boat could not smell like a boat.  Much harder to achieve than you would think.  Since I had rebuilt our boat it had no smell. No moldy, damp, rotting smell.  Most boats we could afford were not so fortunate.


The #2 item on the list was a large state room preferable with an athwartship berth.  Also very hard to find.  The Catalina 34 MK I and MK II was the most successful in that design requirement.  The #3 requirement is that the boat had to have character.  That wiped out the Catalina 34 completely. #4 on the list was less than 5'-0" draft.  #5 on the list was preferably a Yanmar engine.  #6 on the list was some creature comforts like heat/AC/running water, etc.  We finally accomplished most of the list. We satisfied 1,3,4 and 6.  #2 could be achieved with a minor modification if we decide it is needed.  I did not get a Yanmar but did get a rebuilt Westerbeke.


This past weekend əkwâr`ēəs sailed out of lives and I had our first sail on Integrity.  A bitter sweet day to say the least.  We have already had more guest on  Integrity than we ever had on the other boat.  I am sure I will get used to all the systems and as I fix/repair them I will gain confidence and appreciation for this new boat and new chapter.








                                            s/v Integrity      1987 Pearson 39-2



2 comments:

  1. Good luck in your new adventures...I hope the person who bought your classic continues to keep here as nice as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your new adventures...I hope the person who bought your classic continues to keep here as nice as you did.

    ReplyDelete