Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Two in a Row

Tuesday dawned beautifully.  The best nights sleep we had all week.  The wind was from the North at night and remained that way all day so we slept a lot better. The hobby horses took the night off.  Time to sail again.  This time with the dog.  All were on board, and everything ready, including new shorter spring lines on either side rail.  Go to start the trusty Yanmar, once, twice, tried but no luck.  Third try ........nothing.  Hmmm.  Switch the battery combiner to both banks.  Try again and turning over but not starting.  Then a bulb in my head goes off.  I check the Engine Stop cable.  Yep, still pulled out an inch; pushed it all the way down.  Starts up this time but why no starter battery??  Should we go or stay in and figure this out. I couldn't remember if I can leave on combine or should I switch back to charge the starter battery?  It could be an all day project.  Lets go sail instead!  If she doesn't start on the way in we will sail back into the slip.  Everyone should do this at least once to refine the skill.  Just hadn't planned on it being my second day out.


Had a wonderful sail in 10 - 15 Kts and headed down the river this time.  The First Mate took the helm again for the downwind portion and exhibited much better control asking questions all the way.  The dog slept peacefully on the cockpit floor wearing a white T-shirt to keep the sun off.  The wind died again after 10 minutes but then built up nicely to stay above 10 all the way.  On the upwind beat back to the creek we saw 6.3 knots on the speed log.  There must have been some current in there as our hull speed is only 6.1.


We made it up to the harbor entrance and had the same issue with the main sticking at the top.  Got everything down and the motor started.  We arrived back in the slip with less effort than the day before, made easier by the shorter spring lines.  With everyone off the boat I began researching my battery/starter issues.  I put a meter on the starter battery and had 12.77v.  More than enough to start the motor.  I put the switch back to Combine and tried to start the motor.  Two clicks and then dead.  I go down below and the entire panel is dead.  Oh no, what did I do.

I empty out all the lockers and start checking wires, connectors and fuses.  The two fuses protecting both battery banks (starter and house) are blown.  They are 125 Amp fuses.  Is there some kind of short blowing these fuses or are they just not big enough to start with.  Come to think of it, how did I determine 125 Amp was enough in the first place?  A little google later I determined the loads on the cranking of the diesel are indeed greater. I am able to only locate one 250 Amp fuse in town and decide to go and get it to verify this is indeed the problem.  Wondering for the next 3 weeks before I get a chance to come back down to the boat was not going to work for me.  The new fuse does work of course and no apparent damage is done.





No comments:

Post a Comment