Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Remounting

This past weekend I continued the remounting of old and new hardware on the boat.  30 new holes were drilled, filled and tapped for the hardware.  I mounted the two new primary self tailing winches on their existing SS bases.  I made new pads to make up for the lack of teak decking removed.  I remounted the teak winch bases for the secondary winches (spinnaker) and then mounted the winches on the bases.  I remounted the two halyard winches, light duty aluminum Lewmar 7 winches on the cabin top.  I used the existing, reconditioned SS backing plates with new bolts and acorn nuts for a clean appearance inside the cabin.

I installed, almost, the two new rope clutches.  I made new backing plates out of aluminum but would like to find some SS to match the winch plates so I haven't tightened them down yet.  I installed the two line organizer that were existing and used the existing SS back plates (reconditioned).  I still have to tighten them down and need a second person for that.


















I will wrap that up and continue on with the mounting of cleats and cleat bases (all wood).  These should have Silicone Bronze fasteners but I may just use SS which is more readily available.  I still need to attached the chain port on the bow. The hole is cut and sealed but I want to try and sand blast off the cheap chrome plating first.

The list gets a little shorter but is still impressive as to all the little things that have to get done.  I have started to make lists for the week as goals so as not to get bogged down in the size of the work left to do.  Just what I can accomplish this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment