Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Electrical Cabinet


 I finished the new electrical cabinet yesterday and installed (temporarily) the door with paper cut outs of the controls.  The door has been salvaged from the old ice box that was torn out along with the entire starboard side bulkheads and engine compartment.

   Just in time as the primary switch/circuit breaker panel arrived.  I still need to refinish the door but the mock up lets me know it will all fit and clear.  It will be easier to access the wiring as the door swings open 90 degrees out of the way.  I am still playing around with the placements of each control and trying to leave room for future additions.



 My big question now is concern over the distance from the battery bank.  The main wires from the batteries to the switch will be 12 foot.  The batteries are close to the motor and the charging sources (alternator and solar panels).  The electrical panel is mid ships on the starboard side over what will become my navigation table.  Voltage drop can be accommodated but i wonder if there is something else I am missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment