Sailing: The art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Galley Work


I thought I was done with bulkhead replacements. I switched over to working on fixing up the Galley cabinetry and only planned on some minor touch up. Of course once I started to remove things to get at the cabinet work the hidden stuff all crumbled and replacemrnt was the only option. The issue was I had not planned on this and was running out of marine grade plywood.

This technically is not evern a bulkhead other than it does run to the underside of the deck but really just forms the side of the galley cabinet. The PO had covered up most of the ills with some P-lam that once removed showed a lot of bondo work trying to extend the life of bad plywood. I was able to salvage the stove enclosure which was still good and all the hardwood trim but the rest and it's failed tabbing had to go.

Once removed I made cardboard templates and tried to fit them onto what remaining 3/4 marine ply I had left. At $100/sheet I did not want to buy another. I squeezed it onto two pieces whose joint can be hidden behind some seat supports. Not ideal but not really a structural member either. To finish it off I really need a piece of 3/16 ply veneer to cover it all.

I also did alot of work repairing all the cockpit seats/locker covers that had failed. The repair was with thickened epoxy and fiberglass to strengthen and some SS corner braces. The teak needs to be cleaned and sanded on all the pieces and the least bit of teak left in the cockpit but that will come later. Big news this week was the arrival of the bow rollers. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment